PBS39 KIDS Writers Contest Rules 2019
MANY WILL ENTER, FEW WILL WIN. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. The PBS KIDS Writers Contest is produced by PBS39 and based on the Reading Rainbow® Young Writers and Illustrators Contest, a concept developed by WNED. The Contest begins on or about January 1, 2019 and ends with the announcement of winners on or about May 10, 2019. This Contest consists of one round of local judging, and one round of regional judging. To enter the Contest you may submit your Local Entry Point. All entries to the Independent Pool must be received at PBS39 by Thursday, May 2, 2019 by 5p.m. to be eligible. Contact PBS39 for other exact local judging deadlines. These Contest rules are subject to modification by PBS39 at its discretion. This Contest is void where prohibited. Coordinated by PBS39, located at 2501 E Coliseum Blvd, Fort Wayne, IN 46805.
Eligibility & Entry Guidelines
- Entrants must be children in kindergarten, first, second or third grade.
- Children of employees of PBS39, sales representatives, subsidiaries or parent companies, advertising/sales promotion agencies, and judges are not eligible.
- To be eligible, an entrant must be a legal resident of Indiana, or Ohio. PBS39 reserves the right to disqualify ineligible entries; such entries may not be returned.
- Only one entry per person will be accepted in this Contest; all subsequent entries will be disqualified.
- Only single author stories qualify (no co-authored stories).
- Stories can be fact or fiction, and prose or poetry.
- Any failure to adhere to these Contest Rules may result in disqualification from the Contest.
- Past Prize Winners: Participants may only win a Contest once in a 2- year period. Participants who have won The PBS39 Kids Writer’s Contest Contest in the last year or who have won prizes valued over $600 in the last twelve (12) months are ineligible.
- No purchase is necessary. Many will enter, few will win.
Word Count Requirement
- Kindergarten and first grade stories must have a minimum of 50 words and a maximum of 200 words.
- Second and third grade stories must have a minimum of 100 words and a maximum of 350 words.
- The word count includes “a,” “an,” and “the,” but not the words on non-story pages such as the title page or those that enhance the illustrations.
- Text must be printed or written legibly or typed.
- Children who cannot write may dictate their story to be printed, written legibly or typed.
- Text may be integrated into the illustration pages or on separate pages.
- Non-English text must be translated on the same page and the translated text (English text) must adhere to word count.
- Invented spelling is accepted.
Format & Illustrations
- Stories must have at least 5 original, clear and colorful illustrations.
- Original art can include drawings, collages, and 3-D created by the author or photographs taken by the author.
- Stories submitted by mail must be created on one side of the paper and numbered on the back of each page.
Official Entry Form
- Each entry must include the official PBS39 KIDS Writers Contest Entry Form, with the required signature of a parent/guardian (and, if appropriate, the optional signature of the sponsoring teacher), consenting to allowing their child/ward to enter the Contest, confirming that the story and art are original, and granting certain rights to the entry materials.
- The entry form must be complete and legible to be eligible.
Judging, Awards & Notification
All entries submitted to the Contest will be judged using the judging criteria and percentages below by a panel of no fewer than 3 judges. Local Entry Point judges will be chosen by the coordinator at each site. Local Entry Point judging will conclude by April 26, 2019. The 1st place stories from each Local Entry Point must be received at PBS39 by 5:00pm on Thursday, May 2, 2019 by 5 p.m.. Regional judging will occur on or about May 10, 2019. The judging criteria and percentages shall be scored and graded using a rubric based on the following criteria:
- 40% Creativity and originality of plot and/or themes,
- 40% Story structure and use of literary devices,
- 20% Relevance, quality and originality of illustration.
All decisions of the judges are final and binding and not subject to appeal or review. Winners will be as follows: (1) the entry with the highest score from among all eligible entries received per grade will be deemed the First Place winners; (2) the entry the second to the highest score from among all eligible entries received per grade will be deemed the Second Place winners (3) the entry with the third to the highest score from among all eligible entries received per grade will be deemed the Third Place winners. In the event of a tie, the entry with the highest score in the creativity and originality category from among all tying entries will be deemed the winner from among all tying entries. Winners will be notified on or before May 10, 2019.
Four (4) First Place Winners (One (1) First Place Winner Per Grade) – Barnes & Noble Gift Card + Spot on air reading story
Four (4) Second Place Winners (One (1) Second Place Winner Per Grade) – Barnes & Noble Gift Card
Four (4) Third Place Winners (One (1) Third Place Winner Per Grade) – Barnes & Noble Gift Card
PBS39 reserves the right to substitute any prize for a prize of equal or greater value, at the sole discretion of PBS39. Winners will receive their prizes at the PBS39 Writers Contest Winners Ceremony. Prize recipients who do not attend the ceremony must allow a minimum of 4 to 6 weeks from notification to delivery. Prizes are not redeemable for cash, non-transferable, and non substitutable.
Return of Entries
The Contest administrators will make every effort, but are not required, to return mailed entries only if accompanied by a stamped, self-addressed envelope of an appropriate size. PBS39 is not responsible for late, lost, stolen, misdirected, damaged, mutilated, incomplete, returned, or illegible entries, or postage-due mail.
Rights Associated with Contest
Submission of the Entry Form constitutes permission from the participant’s parent/legal guardian for PBS39 and PBS/WNED to use the participants’ name, likeness, biographical information, information and materials contained in the Entry Form, photographs, and any statements or remarks made about the Contest in advertising and promotion without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law. All entries, and any copyrights therein, become the sole property PBS39 and PBS/ WNED. By entering, entrants’ parent/legal guardian agree to abide by the above stated rules, and warrant that their child’s/ward’s entry is their original work and does not infringe upon or violate rights of any third party, and grant to PBS39 and PBS/WNED the right to edit, publish, promote, and otherwise use their entry materials without permission, notice or compensation. No royalties will be paid at this or any time. By submitting an entry and Entry Form, each participant’s parent/legal guardian, on behalf of the participant, agrees to assign all right, title, and interest in and to the entry and Entry Form to PBS39 and PBS/WNED and warrants that the participant’s parent/legal guardian has the authority to assign such right, title, and interest. In the event that any applicable law requires certain formalities to be fulfilled to effectuate such grant of rights, each participant (and parent or guardian) agrees to cooperate with PBS39 and/or PBS/WNED to achieve fulfillment of such formalities. By submitting an Entry Form, each participant’s parent/legal guardian, on behalf of participant, agrees to be bound by these Contest Rules. Each participant’s parent/legal guardian, on behalf of the participant, agrees to release and hold PBS39 and PBS/WNED, and its employees, officers, directors, shareholders, agents, representatives, subsidiaries, parent companies, or other affiliated companies harmless from any and all damages, losses, claims and liabilities arising out of participation in the Contest or resulting from acceptance or claiming of any prize hereunder. PBS39 and PBS/WNED reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate, suspend or otherwise cancel the Contest at any time. Income and all other taxes are the responsibility of the prize recipient. PBS39 and PBS/WNED are not responsible for any expenses incurred in connection with participation in the Contest.